Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Pattie A. Clay Hospital (1892-) | Eastern Kentucky University - Special Collections and Archives

Name: Pattie A. Clay Hospital (1892-)
Variant Name: Pattie A. Clay Infirmary


Historical Note: Pattie A. Clay Infirmary was opened in October 1892 in a two-story brick cottage donated by Brutus J. Clay in memory of his wife Pattie Amelia, who had died the previous year. Until Clay's generous donation, the community's goal of buying property for such a facility seemed an unattainable dream. The community supported the infirmary by donating funds, linens and even goods such as flour, coal, eggs and clothes for patients. In its first 30 years of operation, the hospital experienced a dramatic increase in demand for medical services as the population in the surrounding areas increased. Thanks to community financial support, in 1927 a new three-story brick building was dedicated, and the hospital staff continually improved services and kept pace with increasing needs. By the 1960s the facility was antiquated and crowded. New federal Medicare requirements made a new facility imperative. After widespread community involvement, in May 1970 a modern hospital was completed, and in 1980 it was renovated and expanded to keep pace with medical advances. Those advances continued at a rapid rate during 1980s and 1990s. In 1993 the hospital became affiliated with Jewish Hospital Health Network, a partnership that lasted nine years. During that time the hospital completed construction of a three-story medical complex with an enclosed pedestrian walkway connecting it to the hospital; a $10.3 million expansion of the emergency, laboratory, radiology and surgery departments and began the expansion and renovation of the Women's Care Center.  The medical center is responsible for maintaining and successfully managing its budget and reinvesting funds to improve the quality of care and expand services for the community.
Sources: http://www.baptisthealthrichmondbilling.com/Print.asp?PID=18





Page Generated in: 0.167 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 2.99MB of memory. (Peak of 3.12MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign